It sounds easy -to do what you love to do- doesn’t it? It does, however it can proof to be quite a battle at times. On one hand you have your inner voice, your heart, guts, intuition, whatever you want to call it, that lets you know what it is you truly need or want.
On the other hand you have this voice telling you that
you shouldn’t listen to your heart and use. your. brains. woman! Love isn’t going to get you from A to B, trust isn’t going to bring money in, you cannot earn a living by following your deepest wildest dreams.
You may call this voice the devil, your mother, that angry teacher at elementary school, that old friend -really, this negative voice comes in all kinds of forms and it is not so much rooting for you to fail nor is it jealous. Most of these kinds of expressions stem from protectiveness. People generally want to protect you from making mistakes; no one wants to see a loved one hurting. Neither do I, even though I believe making mistakes is a
good thing.
Make mistakes. Make many, many mistakes. Mistakes make
up the sentences in your textbook of life. Read it, learn from it and then rewrite it. It will guide you toward a more authentic place. Pave your own path, follow your own trends hence find out what it is that you love to do most.
For a long time I kept looking for something, anything new to start. I felt that in order to flourish I needed a new project, a new weblog, a new shop, a new name for it all. And so I started a new weblog, I opened a shop and then another one, but somehow it all didn’t fit.
What I’ve learned along the way is that what I had was
perfectly fine to begin with. I’ve learned to listen more carefully to my heart and therefore to do/write/create what I truly love, not what I think others will like to read, or buy for that matter. I think this kind of thinking has something to do with me being a journalist. From day one you learn to always have the reader in mind while working on an article, interview, anything. It is hard to change a habit, but I think I’ve found a way.
So now I do what I love to do most and that varies from
day to day. Yesterday was all about photography, today I’m writing, tomorrow I might draw. I find that this loving gives me a whole lot of freedom and it is learning me to trust myself more. However, the negative voices are still here, and I think they are never gonna fade away completely, but I do believe that the more you listen to your heart, the stronger that voice will become and before you know it your voice is so loud that it will drown out the negative talk, and you will hear your heart say loud and clearly trust me. Trust yourself. For crying out loud do. what. you. love. woman!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments
Post a Comment