Holiday traditions

/ 10 December 2014


photo by Joost

I have a few small holiday traditions that find their way into the every day of December year after year. One of them is a trip to Starbucks. I never go to Starbucks, except during the holidays! I think this traditions stems from the first Starbucks to open in Holland ever. It was located behind customs at the airport and the only location at that time. When I lived in Finland and travelled back there from a vacation in Holland, I had my first Starbucks beverage there. It came in a red holiday cup, and as I'm a sucker for all things Christmas related, I came back year after year for a refill!

I can't remember an advent without a calendar. Growing up mine only contained images, these days I go for the candy filled ones. Especially the Fazer Advent Calendar. Not a big fan of the wide variety of chocolates they introduced to it over the years though. I don't really care for chocolate flavoured with strawberry and alike. But still, it wouldn't be Christmas without the calendar.

Last but not least, a tradition that stems from my early years of living on my own: I always buy the December-January issue of French Vogue. I have no idea why I started doing this, as I never by it except for the holiday issue. I guess it feels extra fancy and holiday-like to buy a magazine in French. The whole buying-pretty-magazines-for-Christmas-tradition is something I inherited from my mom.

The next few days I will spend at my parent's place, to do some holiday baking in preparation of our party this Saturday. I'm excited to go back to the home where I spent so many Christmases and so many traditions were continued and made.

No comments

Post a Comment

Elke Dag. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.