December daily

/ 2 December 2014


Ali Edward's blog is one of the online places I visited weekly. I've been a long time reader + admirer of the way she documents her life. December daily is one of the projects she started doing a long time ago, and facilitates both via her blog + products. For years and years I've wanted to do this myself: document the days of December leading up to Christmas. This year, finally, I'm all set.

'Tis season is my favourite time of the year. And every year I notice that the time leading up to Christmas day is the most fun. The anticipation, the decorating, the joy. Bringing some light to dark days.

Here in Holland we've got another holiday we celebrate on December 5: Sinterklaas. It is tradition to not get out the Christmas decorations until after the 5th and even so, I grew up in a household where the Christmas tree would remain outside for the better part of December. Now I know that in the country that I hold so dear (Finland) the tree only gets decorated right before Christmas Eve, yet I can't help but always want to toss these particular traditions aside and get the Christmas decorations up early December. Yet I never do or better said, I never did.

This year I just want to enjoy this time. Not do what is thought of as appropriate, but do whatever I please. That joy, is what I want to capture. All the things I love about this time of year and the fun things we do. Some are traditions still, others just regular day-to-day events —add a few twinkle lights, hot cocoa and some carols and even those regular days feel more special than ever.

I'm looking forward to having the finished album in my hands, and imagine years from now looking back at all those stories captured...I can't wait!

Happy December!

No comments

Post a Comment

Elke Dag. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.