Beat the blues

/ 22 October 2008



Living in a
northern corner of this planet means that Winter is knocking on our
doors. All the leaves have dropped and it won't be long before the sun
will only pop up for aprox. six hours per day. Hence, the Winter Blues
is about to knibble at our souls. I've been here before, both in
Finland during this time of year and the Winter Blues. So I know it is
vital to prepare for this season:

* Catch as many sun beams as possible. Go outside, play. Lay down on a pile of leaves and bath in the sun.

* Take a class, if only online. I recently signed up for the free (!) online class called 'Stories in Hand' by Jessica Sprague. You can sign up here, class start November 9.

* Make a list of Winter Blessings.
What do you love about this season, what good does the darkness bring.
Which aspects of Winter fill you with gratitude. etc. Write them down
on a piece of paper and place it on your fridge, inspiration board or
somewhere else where you know you'll take a glimpse at it (perhaps the
toilet?)

* Prepare to get lost in another world.
Plan a visit to a museum, buy a few books. Or plan a trip to a city or
a part of your town you've never visited before. Research it's history
and list some fun things to do while you're there.

* Make sure you have something to look forward to every month.
In November I will go back to Holland for a long-weekend, in December I
will go to the ballet, I haven't planned anything for January yet, but
I know I'll have a long holiday in February to plan some fun outings.
Or host a monthly gathering
in your home during the winter months, the warmth that friends bring to
your home will certainly be something to look forward to!

* Get some travel magazines, books & guides. So
when the moment comes that the Winter seems endless, you'll have all
the tools to start planning your summer holiday, which surely will make
it seem closer.

And when the Blues arrives, be gentle with
yourself. Remember that mood swings come with the shifts in seasons,
hibernate if you feel like it, but don't forget to come up for air once
in a while. A 'Beat the Blues box' can help you reconnect to the world.
Look out for my next blogpost, in it I will explain what a 'Beat the
Blues box' is and give you instructions to make your own!


No comments

Post a Comment

Elke Dag. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.