on smiling & greeting strangers

/ 30 May 2008

Nothing could blow away the dark cloud that hovered over me these past days. I've been in such a dark place. No piece of chocolate,  no movie,  no steaming hot cup of tea, not a new dress nor drawing or talking to friends could cheer me up.

Every time I came home I felt the urge to run right out again, to be anywhere but here, to do anything than to deal with what was making me feel this way. I know, you can run but you can't hide. And so I stopt running and this morning I walked, through the city that was slowly waking up, the streets not yet filled with shoppers but with trucks unloading their loads. And as I was walking with a quick step and a bound to be blue look on my face I noticed something. someone.

Right in the middle of the street, in the back of a truck, stood this guy and he was smiling...a big bright smiling face looked at me and there was no way I couldn't smile back. and so I did. then he said 'hi' and I said 'hi' back and walked on and i continued to smile all day long.

There's nothing better than a stranger greeting you out of the blue unless this stranger has a smile to die for and spends a few seconds of his or her time to look at you. and i noticed that once the stranger had noticed me I could once again notice myself.

whatever your plans are for this weekend, please smile. smile at a stranger, look him or her in the eye and say 'hi'.

No comments

Post a Comment

Elke Dag. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.