A lesson learned the hard way
Finding my voice, was a lesson I learned the hard way, years ago. After blogging for several years on a blog called ‘Dreamer Girl’, so-called because I was always dreaming up new adventures and day dreaming was -and still is- one of my favourite things to do, I decided it was time to share my true voice. To do so I thought I needed to start afresh. Alarm bells should have gone off, right then and there. A voice isn't found in a day or by erasing the past. It requires days, weeks, years of jibber jabber, slowly growing into the words that tell your story. Of course this is easy to say now, because I learned that lesson, but back then I thought a new blog, with a new name, would help me connect to my true voice even better.
Fading away
I couldn't have been more wrong. As it turned out I wasn’t getting closer to the true me, just farther away. I was looking more and more at others and their words, instead of at myself and my words. My voice was fading. Slowly but steadily. I leaned on the experience and knowledge of others. Fear clouded my judgment, up to the point that I couldn’t see anymore. Until someone pointed it out to me. Instantly, all was clear. Painstakingly clear. The words on my pages, weren't mine. Obviously I removed them, I apologised for my mistake. What followed was a long proces of regrouping, searching and looking back to see what was real and what not.
Finding my voice
Fast for almost five years. A lesson learned. It took a very long time before I opened up again. Before I realised that my voice was here all along. Under layers of fear of not being good enough. Looking back I learned so much from this experience. I found my voice and now I trust it to be true, to be me and to be enough.
And I still dream.
Every day.
p.s. I'd love to hear how you found your voice.
Wow!
ReplyDeleteAnd welcome back... I'm reading your voice for the first time, but I'm glad it's back.
There's no voice like a true voice, thank you for adding one of those to the web again.
Love this Silvia. We all take time finding our voice. You have a great voice to share
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've entirely found my voice, but I enjoy reading stories about how other's have found theirs, so thank you! :)
ReplyDelete"A voice isn’t found in a day or by erasing the past."
This is so true. In Canada, where I live, the aboriginal people have a saying "walk into the the future backwards" or something like that. It means that our past has much to teach us, for it has shaped our spirit, and that we would do well to remember the journey we have taken to where we are.
As a fellow day dreamer, I have to wonder if you'll write any novels someday. :)
P.S. I love your photographs.
*others xD
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your kind words, Kait (:
ReplyDeleteMade my day!
Yay!
ReplyDeleteLast week I decide to scrap the perfectly nice and functional bio a copywriter made for me 3 years ago (to go on my music website and in press kits) and take a stab at writing my own. It took me about twelve tries, and I may not even be 100% done yet! but I am seriously in love with what I've written now because it is still functional, but it also reflects my attitude, personality and special kind of weirdness much better. Added bonus: I seems to be becoming a guiding force in the overall design of my website, how I want it to look, and how I will approach my Facebook page and newsletter in the future as well! All that from simply being really engaged with writing my real voice into my bio.
I guess I've needed these three years to better understand what I'm doing with my music and to even be able to recognize that what had been written for me -while doing a good job at describing the sound of my songs- was not really doing anything toward the goal of giving a glimpse of who I am and what I'm all about with my music. It's hilarious how long it can take to figure out one's own voice, it reminds me of how my grandma used to go around looking for her glasses while they were resting on top of her head like a tiara.
I am currently getting my website updated in order to better communicate my real voice via that platform. I'm sure that it will keep changing over time, and I will probably always feel like "I can do this better than I am right now..." but I feel closer to it now than I have ever before!
Such a great story Gwen, thanks for sharing. Loved this bit 'It’s hilarious how long it can take to figure out one’s own voice, it reminds me of how my grandma used to go around looking for her glasses while they were resting on top of her head like a tiara.' Can't wait to see the updated website :) xo
ReplyDelete